Saturday, February 27, 2010

I'm a Weaver!

Not a great one .... but still .... a WEAVER of fiber --- not just dreams!

This little 5 inch wide scarf requires 60 strings of cotton! It is a lot to keep up with and is fairly intimidating to load onto the loom. But my weaving teacher was here, thank goodness, so I didn't end up tied up or tangled up in it all. And goodness knows I would have without Lisa. Lisa Banner is the weaver guru at The Crossnore Weaving Room. She is a wonderfully patient teacher and an incredible weaver in her own right.

This is what the loom looks like from the weaver's point of view, more or less

This is what the tool area looked like as we tweaked and adjusted some things. And by we, I mean Lisa. :-)

This is the view from the observers point of view. The big frame with the pegs on it in the background is the warping board where you tie the cotton on to get your strings counted out and ready to load onto the loom. It was wonderful to do it with Lisa standing right beside me. When I attempt this on my own, I'll need a padded room, no doubt!

Essentials .... cotton thread and coffee

Sometimes you need a drill ... makes a great bobbin winder. I obviously have a few parts to order! But as the book title indicates, LEARNING!
I'm very excited about this new found love.
The room the loom is in is pretty chilly right now .... so I'm not getting as much loom time as I'd like. But this too shall pass, and I'll be weaving my heart content soon enough.
When I'm weaving, I feel in touch with my ancestors. It's a very magical feeling.
I hope I gain wisdom and love from them.
God knows I could use it!
Stay tuned for the next installment ... maybe I'll actually finish a scarf this weekend!
Happily weaving,
Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment