Sunday, November 05, 2006

Elk Park, NC ... things that make you go hmmmmmmmm



Now I ask you, if you had a perfectly beautiful brick chimney in your kitchen, would you dry wall over it and apply various different linoleums to it, finally settling on a brick pattern that looks like the brick underneath it????????? Well, they did that here! So ... yesterday I decided to begin the arduous task of removing the drywall and layers of linoleum and display the real thing! Things that make you go, "hmmmmm". The sink installation process has begun ... and oh, what a series of comedic moments we have had! As with any home project, it came with it's challenges, but when you add the age factor in of this home ... you just get some fun variables that you'd NEVER expect. We're learning! I chose the picture with the sink so you could see all the different wall coverings that have been installed through the years here ... the tile underneath the sink cabinet is actually linoleum! The backsplash above the dishwasher has the tile linoleum, then the brick linoleum, then some fruity contact paper over the whole thing. That, of course, will be coming off ... just trying to get the sink fitted first. So when the granite is cut to snuggle up to the sink, the fruity paper is removed and replaced with something a little more "us" ... (not that fruity doesn't describe us, I know!) and the fireplace is exposed, clean, and happy, this kitchen is going to be beautiful. This, of course, is our phase 1 remodel for the kitchen. Eventually we want to turn the whole thing around to face the mountain ... later! So, the plumbing parts are old and stripped and we went to our favorite hardware store right here in town center, Brinkley's. I'm sure we've paid their heat bill for the winter by now. Mike, who is also our neighbor, was so delighted to see us ~ especially because Paul was with me and it's a boy's club around here. So, they got to talking about things, and Mike realized we might need another piece of plumbing pipe later after store closing. He told us we could always just come on down to the house and get him ... and Paul said, "you mean, in case of emergency you will help people after hours?" and Mike said, "no, it don't have to be no emergency ... they're always just coming down there and getting me for stuff" ... so, you know we live in a small town! He only insists on whoever is in need be the one to drive him up to the store ... which is less than a mile from his house (he lives right behind us) !! The next conversation with Mike was about the guys next door shooting off their big guns ... and he was almost jumping up and down when he thought Paul was interested in buying a rifle. I thought he was gonna faint for a minute when he thought we didn't have a gun at all in our house. Poor man ... so far Mike's in a quandry as Paul (being a bonafide man) does not hunt, does not watch football, does not chew (tobacco) and does not have a cabinet full of guns. As Paul says, "we're not in Kansas any more"! Now, I have a few new friends too, of course. Jane Smith owns the antique store where I'm buying my new found old sink and stove ... and who knows what else. She's restoring an old theater here in town center, which I hope to get involved up to my elbows in. And she's all for that! Donna owns the Blessings coffee shop, which is attached to the antique section owned by Sherry, who I bought a gorgeous oriental cashmere 8 x 10 rug from for $30. I am not sure if it's going to match anything we have, but it was such a deal I had to buy it! Is that girlee, or what!?!? A local young lady has opened a cheer and dance company place in Newland, which is about 7 miles up the hill (where we have to go to do any real business - driver's license, etc.) and Paul ran into her at the DMV. She doesn't teach dance, only cheer, so I might be able to get a job at her place. There are opportunites every where I look ... the community center is in real need of after school stuff for the kids, elementary and middle school ... but what I really see around here is a desperate need to clothe and keep warm. There are so many folks here who live in little campers and trailers that are not heated, and some that aren't even plumbed. It reminds me of how lucky and fortunate we are and it keeps me remembering to say grace and be humble. We have tried to make sure no matter what else we do, we try to offer a smile to EVERYONE we see. I think some people haven't been smiled at for a very long time. And I know some of these folks in the remote areas around here don't get to eat on a consistent basis. The news is always reminding everyone to give coats that have been outgrown or no longer needed ... and I think that'll be my project for the first part of this coming week ... if I can find the box I put them all in!!! The picture of the half trimmed maple tree will give you an idea of the difference in 75 feet and say, 50 feet. Tree trimmers are apparently also a boy's club thing ... and my tree trimmers are not very good at scheduling. So, I'm going to set Paul in charge of their next "payment" and see if they might just finish the job. More things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. If they wink at you and call you honey, don't hire/trust them! Especially during hunting season! :-X We went to Elizabethton for dinner last night. It was fabulous to get away. We also go to go to Lowes for more plumbing parts (we decided to let Mike rest!) and we even went inside the Walmart for some paint for one of my mosaics. The drive home was incredible with the full moon over the mountains and the stars twinkling ... it is beautiful here. Today is once again a gorgeous day filled with blue sky and the sun is out, although it's still only 50ish. I'm learning to wear 3 shirts, it helps! Our chore for today is to get the plumbing working so we have a sink ... the bathroom sink also collapsed from the wall and busted last night ... so our plumbing is first on the list! Then I hope we get to take our Sunday drive and forget about everything but what the universe has provided for us to enjoy. Happy Sunday to all and have a wonderful week! Paul & Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment