Thursday, November 02, 2006

Adjusting to the neighborhood

A brief story about our last two days ... because there could be no pictures that would ever describe what we've learned in the past 48 hours. Yesterday Paul chose to go to the DMV and become a member of the North Carolina driving club. So, in order to get your driver's license, you need certain information. In order to get your license plates, you need yet other information. The DMV office is up the road about 7 miles in the town of Newland, which has 2 stop lights in it! He called home and needed the titles to the truck and Saab. No problem! I know EXACTLY where those are (AMAZING!) Second phone call, and honey, "my social security card is laminated so they need my passport and my marriage certificate". "Ok, I'll be right there". So ... up the "three lane" I go with the said papers in tow. Where's my social security card? I don't know ... thought you had it as you told me it was laminated !!! You're getting the picture, right? Ok, another trip home (we both went as Paul needed to eat!) and we found the laminated social security card, his very first British passport (what a cute kid!) and his original visa which was supposed to have some number on it that was mysteriously missing. Back he went to present all the newly acquired documents. Apparently after a call to"the main office", he was given the benefit of the doubt that he is, in fact, Paul Glover. D A N G !!!!! I could've just told them that! While taking the test, they gave him a verbal clue of a round sign by saying to him "whew, whew" .... :-X. Anyway, I got another call an hour later or so, "honey, I need the titles". I GAVE you the titles ... no, you gave me the registration. Oh SHOOT! Back to the house he came ... and took the examiner some lunch this time! poor guy - he probably really needed a good stiff drink! FOUR HOURS later, Paul was a licensed driver of the North Carolina and had license plates for the truck AND the Saab ... and now I know what documents to take with me when I go!
TODAY we woke to mid 30s and no furnace, although we didn't notice the furnace wasn't working until Paul had gone to work. He left late because we were supposed to be blessed with the tree cutting crew, but they showed up around 10 or so to say they weren't going to be able to get 75 feet up with the wind and ice. No kidding! Anyway, I went out to the oil tank with my big stick (mop handle, if you must know) and upon trying to find oil in the 550 gallon tank, realized there wasn't any. D A N G !!! So we called Mr. Forbes, who is my hero, and he came and filled up 268 gallons worth. Thank heavens! Meanwhile, I'd gone to Lowes and gotten some space heaters so I don't have to freeze any more. Unfortunately, if you plug more than one in, the circuits blow. Today I learned how to measure the oil in the oil tank, reset the furnace after it's been parched, and I found the circuit breakers and reset them too. To make myself feel better, I painted ... and when Paul got home he joined me! We're adjusting ... thank goodness we have each other! We're expecting freezing temps in another couple of hours, so I'm grateful the oil tank was filled. When I came back from Lowes, each of the mountain tops I past had on frozen top hats. The frost on the mountains looks beautiful. I expect we're getting into winter for real now. There is a wonderful coffee shop on the corner and I'm so thankful for Donna, the owner and her gift for making lattes with a smile! The tree guys are supposed to come back tomorrow ... and the termite man will be here at 9 AM. I'll keep you posted! I sent out a surround of pictures from the outside of the house to everyone we thought would be interested in them. Thanks to all of you for your sweet, supportive and wonderful comments about our pride and joy. If I missed your address, let me know and I'll send them out. It's just too hard to post that many pics on this temperamental blog! And for those of you who promise to visit, please keep your word! We should thaw out sometime in late April, early May. Just bring a paint brush or some sand paper or the like. By then, we'll be in need of supplies again, I'm sure! Stay well and be happy! Paul & Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment