Monday, December 20, 2010

One week until Christmas ... almost!

The Happiest Christmas Tree --- wired to the ceiling so Sulu can't pull it down while he picks the ornaments off!  It looks beautiful in the evening with the lights and the crystal.  I love sitting in the living room and just staring at the tree.  It's peaceful and creative thought producing.  It's a gift from mother nature.  Beautiful and happy ... and lovely.

The growing Mr. Sulu.  He has provided plenty of giggles for Paul and I.  He drags things around the house and stashes them in his treasure trove under a chair in the den.  Tonight he came through dragging one of my scarves that was about 4 feet long.  I thought it was a snake! Spartacus was intrigued!  So entertaining!  He's moved it around several times.  It must be hard work but he's invested in it being his.  It is FUN to have a kitten around again.  :-)

These guys are not too sure about how fun having a kitten around is!  But they are slowly adjusting to having to deal with it anyway!
I have been blessed with a mosaic/multi media commission piece.  (whoo hoo!)  We have been enduring some mighty cold weather.  Last week the temperature was in single digits so I had to work in the kitchen where the warmth from the wood stove would dry the adhesive on the tiles and the grout.  Artemis decided to help me.  I sat in the chair opposite where these guys are sitting and worked for a couple of days.  They basically stayed right where you see them while I worked.  I think Artemis was my guardian creative angel ...  and Spartacus was our resident napper.  At least someone was getting some rest!

This is Paul's Nutcracker tree.  We put it up when the rest of the house gets decorated each year.  This year we decorated with gumption because we had the Solstice Celebration here.  The house really does look nice and warm, and FESTIVE!  We had a very good time at the Solstice Party.   And, it really feels like Christmas with all the snow ... "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas".   There is a light dusting from this morning's precipitation.  Nothing big, but enough to make it feel right for the season.

Our Nutcracker collection.  Our friend Beckye has given us a "hippie" to add to our collection which is missing from this photo.  I'll try to get that photo added before the end of the season.  He's very "Paul and Cheri" appropriate. :-)

Our nativity set that I've had for years and years.  And it's still all together!

The Entertainer ... he's a hunter.  He loves to hide behind things and jump out to surprise you.  Or jump you, if you're another cat!  So funny ... great photo ops! 

The beginning of the commission piece - 24" x 40".  Will show the final later this week.   I'm very excited about this piece.  It's for a little boy - a bulletin board.  It's FUN to do because it's happy and whimsical!

Paul used his ingenuity and had our beer on snow in a wheelbarrow this time instead of our normal wash tub of ice.  Lots of beer still left --- please drop by and have one or two!  Besides, 'tis the season and we want to visit with everyone!  You can stop by and NOT have a beer if you wish! 

Solstice Fiesta in progress!  Ole!  Don't you just love the party hats?

The Kress Sisters, Meghan and Jennie -so GOOD to see them!  They're both in school AND working.  We felt very special having them for a few hours.


Two very lovely women right here! On the left, Beth, on the right is Patti Conner Greene.  Beth is the co-hostess of the Solstice Celebration.  She made some absolutely DELICIOUS homemade pork tamales rolled in fresh corn husks! She also created a gorgeous fresh swag of seasonal greenery for our dining room doorway and a lovely table spray.  She said she wasn't "feeling it" and was bummed about her lack of energy for it.  Just for the record, her arrangements are BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you Beth!  In her professional life Beth is a CNA and cares for and nurtures sick and home bound adults.  She is a precious, giving, loving and a very special woman.  We love you Beth.  Happy Solstice.
Patti is an incredible potter, who I've mentioned many times here.  She is now volunteering her time at the senior center once a week teaching pottery.  After a little "fake i.d." scenario, I got to attend a class last week.  It was PHENOMENAL!  I had THE BEST time I've had in ages!  And it set the stage for my new endeavor of creative dreams coming true.  I learned how to make a bowl out of clay - it is drying now.  Can't wait to see what happens with it next!  Patti is involved with a collaborative effort with a couple of other potters whereby they are each making a piece of a tea pot (spout, handle, body, lid, etc), assembling them with a part from each artist into one teapot, firing them, glazing them, and putting them in a show!  It is most interesting and educational to watch this concept come in to fruition!  I have always been intrigued with collaboration work and would LOVE to find a group to play in.  PLEASE visit her website, her work is exquisite and gorgeous.  Patti and her husband Dan are two of the nicest people you will ever meet.  They are fun loving, practice adventure seeking regularly, and enjoy every breath they take.  Our kind of folks!  www.linvilleriverpottery.com  Oh, and while I was visiting the senior center for my class, who should appear but Santa Claus!  I was touched by how magical his presence was.  I was also touched by how I immediately felt like a little girl with stars in my eyes for this very friendly, happy, jolly man dressed in a red suit!  It was THE BEST time I've had in ages, did I mention that?  I LOVE the holidays because of the magic.  I so wish it could last all year long ... and I'm working on that!
A little look into the holiday celebration ... lots of spirits on the table!

The Mayan flavored feast! It was good. :-) Thank you to everyone who could join us in the flesh.  Thank you also to those of you who joined us in spirit.  There is a lunar eclipse on the horizon for us, as well as the winter solstice on Tuesday, the 21st.  Its a good time to re-evaluate what you do/don't want in your life, your future and your dreams and goals.  I'll be dedicated to declaring all that.  I hope we all have clarity to see and feel what we are seeking!  There was a moment during the party where I got to stand back and count all of the blessings I could see:
* a wonderful husband with a generous spirit and a loving heart
*wonderful friends - all around
*fabulous food and beverage
*a warm home with all the conveniences of modern living (electricity and such, big change from a teepee!)
*gorgeous representation of the magic of the season with gifts from Mother Nature like the giant beautiful tree and evergreen decorations, and the magic of snow
*art
*hope, dreams, joy, laughter, compassion, forgiveness, celebration and love
*A village of different personalities, talents, gifts, senses of humor, experiences, stories and energies
*F*A*I*T*H*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Yesterday was the 3rd anniversary of my brother's passing.  I miss him every day.
My heart goes out to his wife and his daughter.  Mercy.
*Apparently Christmas is approaching very quickly!
Have you been good?
I leave you with my favorite picture from the holiday party ....
Chad (Jennie's husband) and Paul (my husband) male bonding ...
and notice the wooden tree in the background - a gift from Paul's daughter, Nina.
Hand cut and dressed up with lights! Perfect!
All good wishes for a wonderful week to everyone!
Paul & Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment