Sunday, November 21, 2010

Reflections


Life is good! Happy Thanksgiving!

Paul & I were having coffee/tea this morning and reviewing the local paper.  I looked at the ads on real estate.  I have NO idea what ever made me do that, as I am really not interested in real estate ... AT ALL.  And we love our "Glover House" and have no real desire to move.  We're still on our 10 year plan to fix things up and etc.  There are a go-zillion properties for sale, of course.  One really made my interest peak.  It was a 1940 small farm house on acreage with an organic garden, stream, etc.  The price was unbelievably reasonable.  I have always had a soft spot and a romantic notion to own and work a farm.  I have dreamed of such off and on throughout my life.  My maternal grandparents had horses, chickens, rabbits, garden, etc.  They lived in a tiny little house on a VERY small piece of land, yet they managed to have a barn, an exercise ring, a garden plot, a chicken pen with coop and a rabbit "nook".   My grandfather raised horses for the Calvary (I even have his mule skinner papers!) and then later on raised and rode race horses.  He literally dreamed horse racing until the day he passed on.  I think that was where my love for the "farm life" must've bloomed and it blossomed every summer when I visited them.  I did do the horse scene for a while in L.A. (of all places!) and I loved it.  Anyway, when I saw the ad in the paper for that property my heart ached to really have it! All those dreams of living on a farm with places to roam and fresh food and animals rushed in and it was warm and fuzzy and glorious!  And then I remembered what's involved in farming, caring for animals, keeping up with all that goes with farming, and I remember that side too, having been at my grandparents so much as a kid.  The "to do" list was not as intimidating as having to do it at the age I now find myself!  At then the big question came: At what point do you just resign yourself to saying you'll have to do that the next time around.  Have I reached that time in my life?  When I was busy being busy, I think I crested the hill and have begun to descend the other side.  Now, how did that happen?  The last trip I took to Atlanta sparked this very same argument with myself.  Have I arrived at the place where some things are just no longer accessible and it's time to settle a bit?  Now the gypsy blood in me is boiling in a complete uproar about this!  I think I might resist retirement in the traditional sense of the word.  Hmmmmm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are approaching Thanksgiving with a huge list of gratitude! 
We are in good health and are in love with each other and protect and appreciate each other.
Paul's parents are doing well.
Our extended families are all healthy (hallelujah!) and secure.
Our adult children and grandchildren are all wonderfully vibrant.  (Nina and Melissa have both been accepted to nursing school!  Jon is thriving in the restaurant industry and Jennifer and Victor are thriving in the fitness industry and in ministry.)
We have a wonderful home, heat, running water, transportation, and the basic necessities (and then some) anyone needs to live in comfort and safety.
We can see, hear, speak, read, write, function in society, feel compassion and love.
We have wonderful friends to share life with.
We are able to volunteer in the community and give back a little of our good fortune.
We have been able to maintain enough income to keep our home, feed ourselves and help with some needs of others.
We are blessed.
We are grateful!
Happy Thanksgiving to you all,
Paul & Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment