Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Mid week Mountain Musings

The fall color sspectacular has begun. It isn't this colorful yet ... this is an archived picture. I just LOVE fall colors and the way the air feels. It is by far my favorite season.

So, I took Monday off of work (Labor Day without that kind of Labor). It's the best day I've had since we took the boys kayaking/canoeing on July 4th. I was able to have a complete art day. I painted wood, cut tiles, glued tiles, designed tiles, and marveled at puzzle making, which is what mosaic work really feels like. In between all that I did a couple of other things too ...

I decided to put on the "self clean" oven cycle while I was sitting on my front porch being the artist I am meant to be. I so LOVE technology when it makes oven cleaning this easy! And, being a technologically challenged month, the automatic door lock would not release. So now the oven seemed to be forever locked up tight (but very clean!). There was a horribly loud beeping that accompanied the red light and error message on the display panel (E1, F5 for those of you who are wondering if it's the same one you've seen on your display panels). Artemis and I endured that beeping for a while as I frantically searched through the Internet options ... and then after about 20 minutes of incessant, irritating, unpleasant beeping, it just quit beeping! Thank goodness! I thought maybe the oven had cooled off enough that the door would release, but NO, still had a red light and an error message, however it no longer seemed to be screaming URGENT!! URGENT!! (kept reminding me of a submarine under attack and the DIVE, DIVE alarm sounding). I relaxed as the intensity died down and went on about my mosaicing business just knowing that Mercury is, in fact, a very entertaining planet and being very aware that we take a lot of things for granted when she is in the direct mode.

While mosaicing on the front porch, listening to the birds merrily singing and all the outside noises that I desperately miss during the work day, my neighbor decided to crank up his noisy lawn mower and disturb the peace. Well, it was Monday, and he ALWAYS mows on Monday ... even the raining like crazy ones. If it's Monday, he will mow. So I dug through my purse, found my iPod and listened to some soothing yet inspiring music to get me through the mowing. Our lawns are large and it takes a while to mow. He finally finished and the birds we ecstatic having fresh lawn to feast upon. I was ecstatic having no more mowing sounds and all was right with the world on Old Mill Road, and in particular my front porch. AHHHHHHHHHH! After about 2 hours ... after the crazy oven beeping had subsided and the peace had become so sweet, the same lawn mower with the same lawn mowing mad man cranked up again ... and all of a sudden it was Ground Hog Day. Do you know he mowed his yard yet again? Entertainment value like you could never find ANY WHERE EVEN if you were looking for it! You gotta just nod and smile around here .... and remember to thank your lucky stars for being able to hear and see, and having time to sit on the front porch and watch the world, in all of its glory go by.

So, Tuesday I managed to get to work and when I turned on all the computers, found that my Internet was not working. After a check through the office found everyone else's Internet was working, I shut down, unplugged everything, re plugged in, rebooted and ta-dah! Internet magic. You've just got to hold your mouth right. Mercury, thank you.

Today, however, the entire building (and county) was Internet deprived until about 1:45 pm. The coffee shop could not accept debit cards and was sending people to the ATM machine for cash! People calling in could not understand "the Internet is down, you'll have to wait" since it never happens any where else (yeah, right!?!?) and then when the lightning and thunder began and I shut down everything technological, I was forced to actually fill out an envelope in long hand. That was when I decided to be entertained, THOROUGHLY. I'm so hoping the goddess of humor remains with me throughout the rest of this month. It's going to be a long one at this rate!

Back to the bliss I felt on Monday. I have decided THAT is my reality (the bliss, not the static). And that the "working for a living thing" is what happens during the station breaks. You know like when you're watching the real program on t.v. (that's the reality) and when the commercials come on and you get up and go to the bathroom and the kitchen (that's the interruption). Sometimes the interruptions are amusing or fretful ... or entertaining and satisfying, but for the most part they are just interruptions. The reality is in the real program ... which for me is my family, our house, my art projects, our friends, fun meals, beautiful blessings from the universe, and on and on. Only took me decades to realize I've been walking through backwards. Whew! NOW I bet the view will be much better and I will be truly entertained CONSISTENTLY. What more could I ask for!

So, I hope you have a clear view of what's "what" for you in your life. And I hope you get to take days for yourself on your front porch to watch your world go 'round. And I hope it is as entertaining and delightful for you all as it has been for me!

Two of my dear friends have experienced difficult losses in their lives this week. I just want to throw out a GIGANTIC embrace for Donna and Margaret. I hope you both can find some comfort to heal in and some peace in your hearts in place of the pain. I am sending bunches of love to you both.

and to everyone:
"May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us."

Keep your sense of humor!
**oh, and by the way, when my knight in shining armor came home from work on Monday night, I explained the oven malfunction to him. He went to the same internet I was using, but found answers I couldn't find. Then he went straight to the fuse box, flipped the breaker, and viola'!! No more locked door, red light or error message on the oven panel! (I don't do electric work for reasons better left unsaid - but Mars NOT Mercury was involved). My hero! It is so nice to be married to a genius. Thanks, honey!
Happy fall to all,
Cheri (& Paul)

No comments:

Post a Comment