Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Needin' that Ark right about now ...









Thought I'd just post things in twos since the need for Noah and his ark has become obvious around here. The torrential downpours will no doubt freeze overnight reeking all kinds of havoc on the roads in the morning. The snow is again on its way ... and I'm tired of sounding like the old lady who only talks about the weather. But honest to goodness it matters around here! For example, the wind was blowing 50 mph this morning. SO if you didn't know that was coming up then you would not know to nail down everything that's outside, and your favorite outside rocking chair from the porch could end up in East Tennessee some place ... and it's very inconvenient, not to mention embarrassing to go and round up all of your belongings just because you weren't paying attention to the weather. ALSO, because I missed a couple of lines in the forecast, I wore a wool coat meant for COLD instead of a repellent coat meant for precipitation ... so now I'll be warm yet soggy .... you see what I mean, I am sure! And wool is very heavy once it has been saturated.

I am sipping my afternoon tea from a wonderful bone china tea cup my mum and dad-in law sent me for Christmas. It has the most perfect British scene painted on it of the front of Harrods department store in London, complete with a pencil mustached fella with an umbrella and a top hat. (wonder if he'd let me borrow that umbrella --- sorry) hailing a taxi. Perfect tea cup for a rainy afternoon ... thanks B and Mel!

Anyway the tea is comfort food as most everyone knows. Things have been "out of sorts" lately. Not everything, but enough to make the axis of Cheri land a little on the tilt. Can't quite trace the cause or event ... just know it's there.

Paul & I taught the Crossnore children on Saturday and it was AMAZING to be with the kids again. We had a GREAT day and both of us had very shining blue eyes all day long. It certainly renews the spirit. And it felt good to exercise again for sure!! I was pretty sore for a couple of days afterward and it is obvious I've become lazy and complacent. So now we are trying to put an hour of treadmill in our schedule (daily would be nice, but not yet apparently). Anyway, we are so grateful for these kids in our lives. That is NOT a source of the "out of sorts".

My car is wounded. I pulled in to work a couple of weeks ago and smoke was pouring out from under the right wheel well. Smelled just like burning brakes. So .. I am guessing it is. Paul picked up the brake pads today, I think. It will be nice to have my own transportation again. (That is one "out of sorts" source, no doubt). I have truly enjoyed spending the time in the car with my sweet husband, just talking about whatever. It does give us an hour a day to be together and giggle and communicate. AND it's great to have a chauffeur, especially in the snow and ice. But I miss having the freedom to leave the office during the day if I want to. And sneak by a store to window shop after work if I want to. (Paul isn't a very good window shopper unless it's a book store or marbles.)

My friend Beth came home last week! Oh how I've missed having a friend in town! It is so very sweet to have her home ... and to be able to hug her and help her heal. She and Paul moved all of her plants back to her little bungalow (out of sorts ... plants gone, missing the beauty!) and he helped her get her plumbing all back together. Apparently there are bears up there on her mountain that like to bite through the lines instead of drinking from the spring! Also, a few snake skins in her bungalow. I swear we didn't see any snakes while house sitting. Quiet things!

Work is struggling. Clients are all at home/work counting their missing money and not wanting to buy million dollar second homes. My friend Steve (an agent here) is sick with the flu and he is my comedy relief and greatly missed. He is also my adopt-a-son (adult). My boss, Hugh, has had the flu and is pretty poorly still, although he shows up everyday for at least 12 hours every day. Shelby, the backbone for us all, had shoulder surgery and has been out since Jan. 8th. She's been back for a couple of days and boy does that help! (out of sorts for sure when she's not here for that long at a time)

I have been doing as much art work as I can with the cold. It just zaps my energy and the piece I insist on working on is HUGE. It will only fit in the kitchen on the table and if the kitchen isn't warm, I can't stand to work in there. (out of sorts for sure on this) I want to finish it so badly for a number of reasons. First is because it is for Jenn and her family and it's been a year in coming. Secondly, because I want to work on about 100 other pieces and this has to be finished first. I hope for warmth and for T.V. to show all junk so I can stay in the kitchen and do art!

My "step-sister" Shay is now going through chemo. (very out of sorts about this) She has had at least 2 treatments and is reacting the way everyone does in that circumstance. This woman could truly use a break in her life. As you know, she just lost her mom. She is struggling to keep the family business up and running and profitable. She has two beautiful children who she would love to provide for. And she would like a minute or two to be happy and live life. PLEASE take a moment to say a sweet prayer for Shay and her kids.

There are birthdays galore amongst us. Tomorrow is our friends Joe's birthday, (happy Birthday, Chief!) Friday is Ms. Joanie's birthday ... Joanie is the director of Sawnee Ballet Theater and School and a precious darling woman and friend. Joanie, happy, happy birthday. And Saturday is my cousin's (Georga in NY) birthday! SO for all you birthday boys and girls, hope you blow out all those candles with one breath, make wishes you really want to come true, and have the best year of your lives so far! Happy Birthday!

I came across a blog site that intrigued me greatly. It took me several days to investigate it and find all the treasures within. There is a huge story with a zillion facets to it and I must say I've been extremely preoccupied with it since the discovery. The woman is amazing, her sisters are also amazing. Her entire family is a gift to humanity. If I'd try to go into everything it would require a novel length post ... this is bad enough already, so I will let you find your own adventure. The site is www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/ There is a warning though, it's a survival story and requires a case of Kleenex and etc. However, it has provoked things in me that I forgot to nourish. It has rekindled passions I forgot to visit. And I am forever grateful to the blog site faerie who led me to her site. The sister has a site too, and she is an incredible writer (http://www.cjanerun.blogspot.com/). That will help in your search for information and history.

I guess all the reawakened aspects of my soul are what feels out of sorts. So, to quote my sweet Paul, "I'll sort that out while I have a cup of tea!" THAT is why I'm having tea.

Hope it doesn't rain ice in your neck of the woods! I love the comments I'm getting from my Orlando buddies about the ice pics on the blog! You guys are too funny!!

Oh, and I just want to make sure you know how much we TRULY appreciate the care packages, PSu and Scott!! We received these fabulous boxes filled with English treats, and Starbucks beans from our Pilgrim friends that make our hearts warm and our bodies HAPPY!!! Thank you so much for thinking of us. Living remote, without a Starbucks nearby, or even a department store is always a bit of a challenge for me ... Paul, not so much! We can't thank you enough for thinking of us, and actually SENDING US LOVE in a box! Now, that's friendship!!

If you have any good thoughts left over at the end of your day, please keep one for Paul, that there will be a job for him soon. We'd be much oblidged!

Hope everything is peaches and cream in your world! You ALL look great from our house!

Blessing to you all,

Paul and Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment