Friday, October 24, 2008

Closing Down the Garden!























































































































































Last Sunday was predicted to be our last "warmish" weekend before the temps will plummet and the ground will freeze. So my diligent Paul the Gardner got outside and dug up the potato crop he is so very proud of (and with good reason!). The pictures are not in good order here, but you can get the idea ... dig, find, pull up and collect, wash, store. So hopefully we will have enough potatoes to get us through Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners! Who could ask for more! The crop is fabulous and I've never seen anyone have more fun than Paul has had with the garden. He must feel like he's on a treasure hunt digging for the hidden potatoes. He was beaming all day. Of course, it was a beautiful day ... although you see him here in shirt sleeves, I was in a light jacket and sometimes had on my hoodie! It's amazing the differences in tolerance between us in reference to cold weather. He is my hero in that regard too! And before the weekend was over, we had to build a fire in the wood stove. So, that was bliss for me and the cats!! We have had a fire in the stove consistently all week this week.... COLD in the mornings and evenings and it is lovely and euphoric (ok, a bit dramatic but true) to have warmth!!
And although Prince Charming is currently sleeping, he'll have to awake soon as we are headed to Anderson today to help Shay clean out some of Elise's stuff and get herself situated in her new environment. Yet another adventure for Paul & Cheri ... as well as Shay and her children. Should be a good couple of days ... and we'll be in a place that has stores and stop lights and things we've forgotten about or not seen in a while. When we went down for Elise's service, I saw more people in one day than I've seen in one year! HA!
One weekend every month the donors from Crossnore take the children on a field trip ... so this is our weekend not to teach. So we found something else to do!
Some other stuff ...
Happy Birthday to Cynthia, (in Florida) who celebrated her birthday this past Wed.!!!
Happy Birthday to Ruthie, our friend here who celebrated her birthday yesterday with a newly broken ankle! Yikes! Too much partying, Ruthie!
Happy Birthday this coming week to:
Stefanie on the 28th ... hope you're doing well Stef ... we miss you! Happy Birthday!
Sue who I work with at Grandfather (and is a member) on the 29th - happy birthday SUE!
AND, my little sister, Cyndie on the 29th, as well! HAPPY BIRTHDAY CYNDIE!!!!
Tis the season ... we just seem to know so many more people who celebrate their birthdays in the last quarter of the year. Wonder why that is!?!
Thanks to all of you for your good thoughts for Sabrina, who is healing nicely and getting back to her old self.
Beth is still tending to her folks .. her mom in particular, and he called Wed. night to tell me it is snowing in MA!!! Had been the whole day ... a Nor'easter heading our way (of course!).
SO ... that means we are getting it here ... Monday will be snowing. So I will bask in the 70 degree weather we'll be in this weekend for sure! Next week will be freezing, literally. Oh Boy!
Do hope all of you are well and surviving this very strange and somewhat scary economic, politically challenging time. Although my usual M.O. is to bury my political and economic head in the sand, I seem to be doing the "ground hog pop up" now ... and am actually looking at the news once in a while (only on line or in the newspaper, can't watch the news, it's too convoluted). I'm finding it be to just plain disturbing, so I'm trying to dilute it with a healthy dose of calm, always brought to me by my sweet husband. Thank goodness!
Charles and Sabrina, the newlyweds stopped by last night with the pictures, so I'll be posting those soon. They look so happy and are just emanating joy and sparkles ... so I'm riding that wave instead of those others that are seemingly crashing upon our collective heads!
Until next time ....
Happy Trails to all,
Paul & Cheri


No comments:

Post a Comment