Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sunbathing/Basking/Worshipping






















Sun, glorious sun!!!!! We have had such an incredibly wonderful time this summer with the sunshine! I just thought it would be appropriate to pay tribute! Fay's aftermath of rain has finally found her way into the mountains, for which we are extremely grateful as the drought has been intense! I'm hoping we can make up some of the deficit, at least 6 inches or so. We're supposed to have this glorious rain for most of the week. Guess all that rain dancing was worth our while! :-) Anyway, I know you Florida folks are SICK of rain, but since it's a new thing for us, our stamina is at a different notch from yours (for now, anyway). The only draw back is that with the rain comes the cooler temperatures and you all know how I feel about the onset of winter. HOWEVER, we have already begun to think about the heating situation and how we can improve upon it. Hence, the sun worship!!!
Anyway, things are great here. This is our lovely time of year and we are truly trying to take advantage of it, and at the same time work and keep plugging along on the house. It seems like some weekends we just need the down time. Guess we're human!
We picked bushels of apples last weekend out of my friend Jennie's parents' yard. So we're going to be making gobs of apple sauce, apple butter, apple cider, apple brandy ... all things apple! Paul made another batch of wild berry jam (I think all seedless this time) and he just keeps rolling right along with his new found time occupation!
We are both exuberant about the little things in life ... the squash we are picking, the tomatoes, the beans that are coming in by buckets full ... cooking fresh veggies and having fresh, live nutrients ... we are feeling very special! Paul wants to double the size of the garden next year and I'm guessing that's going to be a good idea for us. Hope his enthusiasm holds out!
Some of the dancers from Dancer's Pointe took a Mia Michaels (from So You Think You Can Dance) workshop last weekend. I heard through several different varietals of grapevines that they all did VERY well, worked VERY hard and were VERY exhausted afterward. Sounds like a PERFECT workshop to me! Congratulations, dancers. I think it's fabulous that the parents of these kids support such things. And coming from where I stand, those teeny details stick WAY out! Kudos to all you parents! I know dance has started back for the season. Hope all of you have an incredibly fun and productive year!
It's very sad information that I share about Elise. She is not doing well and could use prayers for comfort and rest. PLEASE. The family hasn't really released the information about just how sick she is or what the expectations are, only that there is a real need and cause for prayers and good thoughts. Anything you have to offer would be GREATLY appreciated. Also for her daughter, Shay, who is her care taker, and Shay's 2 children. It's a very hard and over whelming time for all. Heart breaking, really.
I must be getting old and sappy because I find that I spend more and more time theorizing and philosophizing than I EVER have before. Guess that's what being an old crone is about. Hopefully I'm a young crone, but you get the idea of what I mean. I vividly remember when my mother hit this stage. I remember thinking that it was a milestone but not knowing exactly what kind and just assuming all women did it sooner or later. Unfortunately by the time mom was my age (or close to it) she suffered a massive stroke and spent many years following that reflecting on what she was waiting to do, and could no longer. So I have always just tried to balance wants, needs and practical realities. Don't really have a verdict on how I've done so far, but as of now, no regrets on my end.
Guess I better get myself back to work and quit rambling for now. Hope all of you can bask in the sunlight, even if it is just your own personal sun beam.
Happy Trails,
Paul & Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment