Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Change in the Air ....



For those of you who are familiar with cat body language, you'll notice they are cuddled up as tight as they can get ... that is because it was 48 degrees this morning! Lucky for them they are always donning a fur coat. Wish I could say that!






Baby pumpkin!!! We have about 15 of these now. Hope the cold doesn't kill the blossoms, I love watching these guys grow!











The marigolds are not only lively to look at, they serve as a great bug deterrent in the garden. Apparently, bugs don't like the way the smell either! :-)
Aren't they gorgeous though? Makes the garden rather festive in between things blooming and sprouting!





















And the Sunflowers! (Christian's garden)
They did, indeed burst forth! and they are simply exquisite! The tall one is over 8 feet tall ... so fun! The neighborhood bees are enjoying gorging on the freshly exposed blossoms as much as we are! So glad to oblige ... thanks Christian!

The air is decidedly cool and smelling like autumn. Seems like the summer never really existed! I hope we get another blast of warmth ... I'm just not quite ready to freeze again yet. It was just flat out cold this morning, as proven by the kitties in their morning nap posture!
When I got up this morning, there were jars and jars of apple butter and apple sauce on the kitchen table from where Paul had been a busy little bee in the kitchen all night. He must have run out of time though, because the blackberry jam wasn't finished yet! He seems to be having a great time. He picked a couple of buckets of apples from the neighbor's trees (with permission, of course) and has been busy turning them in to eatables in other forms every since! He is so cute, I just can't help grinning about it. I canned a lot back in the 80's. Now that it is becoming necessary to save on groceries, I'm glad he seems to be enamored with it! My goodness the house smelled so good when I got home yesterday and the apple butter was simmering in the crock pot! Took me back to when my children were young and I made their applesauce all the time. Significant too in that Christian started kindergarten yesterday! Geez ... hate to say I'm beginning to think the sun is on the other side of high noon ... but when the writing is on the wall!!!!! :-O Yikes!
We were in the yard all weekend as it was splendid weather and there is just plenty to do out there! We finished burning all the brush from our "clearing out" projects. (Mike, the neighbor from the hardware store, even threw his old decking and numerous other things on the fires to assure we couldn't go out to breakfast or any place for that matter, and that the fire wouldn't go out.) You notice I'm using the word "we", but I'm sure Paul would like you all to know it was not his idea to do all of that! I've even corralled friends, equipment and such to finish it up. It's been a long project ... I quite accidentally knocked myself in the head with a tree branch on Sunday and was a little loopy for a few hours, but I'm back to my normal loony state now, so no worse for the wear. Still have a sore knot on the back of my head~ and for the record, it hurt like crazy when I did it! Paul was gracious, as always, and helped me back up to my feet ... and gave me permission to take a break. Perfect timing! Anyway, the yard looks fantastic, if I do say so myself, and I can never say thank you enough to the "kids" that helped us get this stuff done. I do try to feed them though as much as I can, and they seem to enjoy home cooking as well as pizza, and they all love the sweet tea! And I love having them around ... keeps us laughing and keeps me from getting and feeling old. Anyway, the outside is shaping up to the point where we can begin with the ornamental aspect now. I'm so excited! It looks like a yard that belongs to some one's home instead of the overgrown south 40 of an abandoned lot!

I began the painting project of the upstairs bathroom last night. That old cabinet is a hoot ... just need to pretend it's retro instead of junk! Perception is a great trick! Hopefully it'll all work out for unique look and we can just move on with a little smile. I'm trying to get it dressed up before Debbie and her parents arrive over Labor Day. We'll see how that goes! It's hard to be working in an area without being able to see the Olympics! Wow! How impressive are those people? Would that I was that focused on something! I'm not quite there yet! Along with the other 99% of the world I guess ...

A little bit of news ... I have officially retired from dance. At least from teaching at a studio. I have proposed a "pro bono" program for Paul and I for the local orphanage/school up here. (http://www.crossnoreschool.com/) We'll see where that leads ... but I'll just say this, for all intents and purposes, I've retired from teaching dance. I am both happy and sad. The Crossnore School is a huge plus in our community up here. It is a great success for children who for one reason or another have been removed from their family unit and need a place to be, rather it be to live 24/7 or to be loved and educated during the day school. My boss (Hugh Fields) has been on the Board of Directors for years and has helped with opening my eyes to the opportunities places like this bring to children, and to the hard work and dedication the volunteers and staff give with each day of their lives. It's an honour to be considered for part of the program. Our fingers are crossed! Teaching dance to children who are not interested in disciplined art is futile. Teaching ballet to little girls who would rather kill hogs is heart breaking. I feel like my time would be much better spent with children who can benefit in any small way .... 'Nuff said.
The final decision came when Stefanie decided to move back to her home town of Lexington, which means the studio here will close. I am closing a chapter in my life with an option to write a new one. Stefanie is doing much the same, however she is moving and starting anew ... gypsy style. Stef, I send you great gobs of love and wishes for the very best of luck in your new endeavor! xoxoxoxo As you move forward, keep us posted on what you're up to! Whatever it is, you'll be a success.
There is so much to write about, but trying to do it amongst all the commotion is not working out to be in the best interest of this post! So, I'll cut it short (yeah, right) and try to take it up again this evening after I take photos of Paul's canning escapade!
Do hope all of you are well, happy and warm! Until next time ....
All the Best,
Paul & Cheri















No comments:

Post a Comment