Thursday, January 18, 2007

What Lies Beneath!











We would never have guessed that these floors were so gorgeous under all the paint and gunk! But we sure were hoping! If we could do just one thing from the move in a different way, I think we would have had the floors done before we ever tried to move into the house! The preparation to sand them is laborious, at best. But the toll it is taking on Paul's back is pretty intense ~ although he won't admit it! He began with the floor in the library on Saturday ... moved to the living room on Sunday (that's the first set of pics) ... that room took 2 days! Then Tuesday night he began in the master bedroom, where he has erased the painted rug master piece! By the way, our neighbor (Bruce) came over to see our progress and it turns out he has that rug in his house!!!! LOL!!! It's a green braided oval rug ~ and he was sweet enough to offer it back to us! We are still chuckling! Last night Paul and his sander moved into the hallway! I don't think we're going to get the entire downstairs finished by Saturday morning at 8 AM when the sander has to go back to the rental shop ... but maybe it'll give some time for the dust to settle and the operator to heal before we rent it again for round two! We are very pleased with the progress so far! The front two rooms have turned out to be oak floors, and the rest of what we've uncovered are white pine! Who knew the floors would be so light in color!?! For the most part, I think we'll end up just putting a coating of polyurethane on them and going with the natural colors. What a difference! (Thank goodness!)
I've been in the kitchen trying to get rid of the fruit wall paper on the back splash. (yikes!) I've finished painting the cabinets white - they look great! Still hunting for the "perfect" cabinet hardware ... I've been chiseling the drywall off of the chimney that comes up beside the stove and sink and am just about ready to clean up the brick. Another dust nightmare! We still have a little ways to go in there before I post the pics ... but things are definitely looking better! I must say, we're keeping the cats guessing as to where they'll find their favorite piece of furniture (or litter box) next! Stump the cats ... :-O There are damp sheets hanging up over all the door ways, and plastic is covering most things (especially t.v.s and computer equipment) so it is VERY interesting here at the Glover household! Also, when Paul is using the sander, we have to turn off all the heaters and computers because the electric capacity is not that capable! We are definitely having a laugh! Anyone out there an electrician?????? We apparently need to go from 100 AMPS to 200 AMPS ......... SOON!
Paul is working hard at the workshop and seemingly enjoying it ... they've got a ton of work in the pipeline, so he's staying out of trouble! I'm working with the realtor, trying to get a HUGE mailing out for her. Also, I begin my teaching schedule on Monday ... looks like 3 days a week (mon, tues, & wed) and quite a variety of classes. As it is a new studio, it'll be an interesting and exciting adventure. I'm looking forward to it, time to get moving again! Paul & I are both busy getting bios written as our employers are interested in getting our arrival known around the community. I kind of like being incognito! ;-)
As I look out the window here, I see great big fluffy snow flakes. I'm sure there is a proper name for them, but I don't know what it is! There is a travel advisory out today ... so I'm thinking I'll stay home and clean up the sawdust and catch up on a few things (like paying bills) and try to find things we've lost in the shuffle! Hope all of you have a wonderful and warm day!
Paul & Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment