Monday, January 02, 2012

Happy New Year to Us All!

We certainly hope you are all ready for this new year!  I seem to have sincere trepidation for this one.  With all the craziness in the universe last year, looking forward knowing it will amplify makes me a bit anxious.  So, I've determined I must remain BUSY, faithful and focused.  
Paul and I have many goals and plans and ideas, as always.  But I want to review last year on this post and save goals for the next one.
We brought in 2011 with a little visitor. 
January went on with itself and all was well.   Paul and I began taking pottery class with our great friend Patti Connor Greene and LOVED every minute of it!  We made some very sweet new friends and have learned our way around the Senior Center Now!  :-)

 
Ms. Patti teaches her passion!
Our classes ended in October, but we hope to be able to get back into the self study program this month.  We miss it, and practice makes perfect!
February taught us about believing in Miracles ... as did March and April.  It was a terrifying lesson at first, but as the lesson moved forward, it became something to shout from the mountain tops.  But I just want to tell you in all honesty, this rocked our world and changed our souls.  For. Real.

Christian went from this scene in February ...
to this at Easter (hiking and climbing the hills w/ Paul Paul).  A regular little boy doing regular little boy things.  Still a huge thing to wrap my head around.  And the only way to really KNOW is to BELIEVE in the miracle.  A precious, beautiful, one-of-a-kind miracle.
We learned a lot about believing, saying grace, and living with a blessing we can always touch.  NO way to express how that molded our year ... just no way. 
Unfortunately, my sweet boss and friend, Hugh lost his battle with leukemia in March.  I miss him GREATLY.  He still is an example to me in being kind to EVERYONE.  He was an incredible ambassador and a one-of-a-kind man. 
 Hugh Fields and his beautiful daughter, Sarah Whitfield.
My very sweet and precious friend Teresa also lost her precious husband, Britt this same month.  It was a very sad and unsettled time.  I do not like to see my friends with broken hearts.  Healing has begun, but oh, so slowly.
Rest Peacefully, sweet friends.
Paul got a new job in March (another HUGE blessing) at Linville Resorts on the golf course maintenance crew ...
And Nina came up in March to run a 10K with her dad!  They had a wonderful time and Nina won!  LOVE IT!! Girl Power, Go Nina!
Jenn, Victor and Christian came up for Easter and it was our first time visiting with them here in ages.
Red head Girls' night on the veranda began around May ... so lovely to have a bunch of wonderful women sitting outside enjoying food, wine, and each other's company.  Can't wait for that to begin again!  Paul began working on the catering crew at the Lodge, so he was now working 2 jobs.

June was the beginning of a string of Art Shows for Clayzaics.  The first one at Roan Mountain got rained out in a BIG way.  But it was fun while it lasted!
 
I began taking a photography course at a local community college and fell in love with all photography has to offer!  Going back to school was certainly interesting! Old brain kicked in and made me proud!

Nina came up for her 25th birthday in July.  Here she is with her dad.  Two peas in a pod, I tell ya!  July was filled with making new art for me ... lots of art shows to prepare for!!

August brought more birthdays (Mark, for one) and another art show at Mt. Mitchell.  It was a great show and we had a wonderful time!





Christian also had a birthday in August - his 8th.  How many times do you think we said our thank yous for having him here?  (No one can't count that high)
I also was in the right place at the right time and scored a MacBook!!!  Oh.my.gosh.  Best thing EVER!


September brought another birthday, Janine's!  I know a ton of other things happened in September but this was my particular favorite thing!  I was also preparing for yet another art show, so our time was very occupied with Paul working at the Club, two different jobs now ... and me getting ready for shows, going to school, and hanging at the antique shop.  We had a lovely time and somehow the trauma of the first quarter of the year began melting just a little bit.  We took a trip to Atlanta to celebrate all the little lives that had been saved by the ECMO process at the Children's Hospital.  And for the first time in ages, I had both of my children in the same place at the same time.  THAT is a very unusual thing considering their busy, crazy lives.  We got to visit my sweet friend Teresa and she was kind enough to host our visit.  It began the busiest part of our year!




Women are such wonderful people.  This is kind of the core group of veranda women, with Ms. Edie missing, unfortunately.  Anyway, the summer was filled with lovely girls' night memories.  And when there is a birthday, it's just an enhanced reason to be celebrating life!
October brought yet another art show (last and BEST of the season) and more birthdays (Paul's).  Paul began working in the Christmas tree field and things began gearing up for another season of the year.  I began spending more time at the Rusted Periwinkle and we got super busy somehow?  AND I was able to get a DSLR camera so I could continue with my photography education! Oh Yeah!
My Nikon D5100.  In love.

Paul's English Pasties for his birthday dinner!  He LOVES these things with curry sauce on them.

Unicoi Arts Festival .... MUCH fun!  I'm tickled when I look at this photo to see how many of my pieces have sold.  Makes me feel like I have accomplished at least a little something!
Teresa visited us and we took a glorious hike up on Roan Mountain!  It was the first opportunity for me to use my new camera.  Wonderful day, 100%.
And Paul is the proud owner of a 1967 Vespa (Allstate) at long last.  He is one happy, smitten camper with this baby, whose name is Sofia.
November brought more "tractoring", a two part Thanksgiving, more fun and healing; and a preparation for Christmas.
And December brought us beautiful weather (thank you, Mother Nature) and Paul's working the "cut and choose" lots at Christa's and Sam's ... my preparing for Christmas and getting things just right for Christian's visit.


I have given the highlights as I see them here.  For details, please review the earlier posts on this blog and on the artsymatilda blog.  Our lives are full, blessed and precious to us.  We hope that yours are for you and yours, as well.
And we wish you all a very HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Happy Trails to you all.
Paul and Cheri


1 comment: