Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas!



Merry Christmas to ALL!!!!!!


As you can see, Mother Nature blessed us with a couple of feet of snow. It is, simply put, absolutely beautiful and so peaceful and mesmerizing. Albeit pretty chilly and interesting to maneuver in!
Paul & I went to Charlotte, NC to see the Nutcracker. First time we've seen a live show in ages. It was spectacular. It was also not as good as School of Performing Arts' rendition of the Nutcracker directed by Russell Sultzbach, but it was still a good show. (and we can't help it if we're Nutcracker snobs!) We were supposed to take some Crossnore folks, but they weren't allowed to leave the campus due to the weather, so we went alone. It was a simply wonderful little getaway for us. Who knew!?!?!? Turns out Charlotte is a pretty nifty city!

photo by Jon Jirka on Ray's Weather site - looking at Roan Mtn

It's Christmas eve and I am sitting in the kitchen by the wood stove fire. I can walk to the living room or the den (or even the bedroom) and sit by the gas log fire. I can gorge myself on copious amounts of food and drink, many of them delicious homemade things that have been given to us by sweet friends in the spirit of Christmas. I can drink clean, clear, cool non contaminated water. I can pick up my cell phone and call anyone I feel like calling. I can turn on lights, media sources, all sorts of electric gadgets. I can take a hot shower or bath. I can stay inside the house out of the ferocious cutting wind that is howling outside. I am healthy. I can remember the most incredible precious memories of Christmas eves past that are remarkably loving, caring, kind and exciting, gobs of them filled with sweet people who are no longer here on earth with us. I can think of dozens of people for whom I'm so very grateful to have in my life .... either now, or in the past. Lately, memories have been flooding my head. They are ALL wonderful memories. My point is, I am SO lucky and blessed. Paul and I both have been in loving homes our whole lives. We've been safe and clean and well taken care of. WE ARE SO LUCKY. And we know it. But it always buckles my knees when I REALLY think of how incredibly blessed our lives have been. And it always brings me to my knees when I hear of those who are far less fortunate, who cannot stay warm, sheltered, bathed, filled with food and drink (including clean water), who are sick, who have never known love or Christmas gifts, or good memories. And for all of those people, I pray they will be showered in blessings. Christmas is magic to me. Magic things happen during this time of year. I so hope the people who are in need get exactly what they need. And that is my Christmas wish. And in the words of Tiny Tim, "God Bless us, every one".

photo by Randy Hargett, Ray's weather site ... Snake Mtn at Elk Knob State Park

Merry Christmas to all.

In Love and Friendship,

Paul & Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment