Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Introductions and Re-acquaintances






Spring brings with it all kinds of interesting findings. We here in Elk Park have been thoroughly entertained by the weather, the blossoming trees and various flowers, and by life itself. I have just marveled at how exquisite the rhododendron bushes are around here. I've never actually lived in a place where they just BLOOM!!! I've always had to "go to the mountains" to see them. I wish I had pictures to offer here, but that will be for next posting, they're on the desk at the office! Oops!
Anyway, our springs have most recently been filled with recital bliss, as you all know only too well. Now it appears that there are actually other things that happen in the spring time ... who knew!?!?! So I'm being introduced and re-acquainted with things I've long forgotten happen in the spring!!! For example, our grandsons pictured above (Austin, kneeling and Cade standing) have found baseball. Aren't they the most handsome fellas you've ever seen? I just love this picture and really appreciate it being sent to me! I miss these guys and we are very excited that we will get to see them on the 17th of June ... for an entire week!!!! Hope Elk Park is ready for this!!!!
I know you think I'm just trying to show you the trees on the street in the next photo, but actually it is something much more exciting than that! On Sunday Paul hollered through the house, "honey, there's a goat going down the road" ... not the normal topic of conversation, you must admit. So I tried to catch the image of the gentleman pulling the wagon with a goat in the back eating hay! If you double click on the image, it'll bring it close focus ... you might be able to see it if we're lucky. Oh my goodness! The things we just take as normal now! We're not in Kansas any more ... that's for sure!
These two lovely sunshine ladies are the women of Appalachian Specialty Real Estate. Caroline (on the left) is the wife of the guy who sold us our house, and I work for her on Wednesdays. Terri (on the right) is the broker in charge and lives next door to where Paul works now. I work for her on Fridays. We had a great Caribbean mambo open house last Saturday ... food, fun, sunshine ... never a dull moment with these two, as I'm sure you can imagine!
Paul managed to replace the brakes on the Volvo this evening, with the help of our neighbor Mike at Mike's truck garage. Mike has a real trucking business --- runs 18 wheelers down to Florida and back every week. Too bad we didn't know him when we were moving! Anyway, it'll be nice to stop the Volvo without the growling effect ... HA! And it'll be nice to drive it to Charlotte on Friday without the fear of not stopping in the traffic, which we aren't used to any more ... AT ALL!!!!!
I've been in withdrawal all week because The Dancer's Pointe is moving into the theater and having tech rehearsals and etc. I feel like I'm still connected by an invisible cord and I miss the hoopla something terrible! But Paul has been generous enough to send me down on Friday afternoon so I can see the show and support all of my dear friends, past students and their parents. I can't wait to see everyone and see a decent show! It's slim pickins' around here! I'll be coming home Sunday ... so the stay is brief, but welcomed and looked forward to! And I'll get to wish everyone good luck in real time ... but GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL in case I don't see you before the curtain. I know Mr. Paul will be sad to miss the show ... but I also know he's secretly counting the minutes until he gets to play x-box for 24 hours straight. :-)
School of Performing Arts had their recital last weekend and I understand it was just fabulous. I sure did miss dancing with the ladies. From everything I've heard, they were outstanding, as usual. The founding owner and co-director, Ms. Patti (Watson Walsh) is retiring, so there has been plenty of surprises for her from everyone who loves her and has been her students for the past (dare I say?) 30 or more years. I can't think of anyone who deserves to be showered with love and gratitude more in our industry. What a wondrous woman she is! And know she gets to look forward to planting in her garden and enjoying her home, which seems to be more precious to her than ever. So, bless you, Ms. Patti ... and all yours as well!
We hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Memorial Day. Elk Park was filled with American flags through the town center and it was a very powerful feeling, as well as visually beautiful driving through it. It was a pretty impressive set up. I opened the doors to the studio on Monday so that the 3 year old class and I watched the Memorial Day parade go by in Newland. It was nice to have the kids see the parade, but they were mostly interested in the candy that was being thrown to them from every moving vehicle and the policeman who was picking up the candy and handing it to them!!! Things are different here, have I mentioned that? The costumes came in for the recital ... so next week we'll be trying them on and having observation week. It should be a big time for everyone. Please send good thoughts! Yikes! Our recitals are June 15th and 16th at the Avery Middle School in Newland (the town with 2 stop lights).
Paul has been invited to be the host for a Broadway evening celebration at Linville Ridge on Friday night. It's one of the hoity toity communities here filled with rich, fun loving folks. Someone is throwing a great 70th birthday bash for one of the gentlemen there, and Paul is going to be the "red carpet greeter". They've rented a tux for him, hired him for the 2 hour cocktail/reception portion of the party ... and invited him to stay and watch the entertainment and such. So ... he should be well known in the neighborhood after this gig! Driving up in his Saab to boot! Quite a picture, to be sure. They love him here with his accent and his gregarious self. I don't think they understand they are the ones with the accent! HA!
Do hope everyone has a fabulous weekend and is well and happy. Paul & Cheri







No comments:

Post a Comment